About The Challenge
Before you enter
To be eligible, you must be an Ontario resident who:
- Is 19 years of age or older as of March 1, 2012
- have used tobacco at least:
- once a week for a minimum of 10 months in 2011
- and 100 times in your life
To remain eligible to win, you must be tobacco-free for the month of March 2012. All participants are encouraged to stay tobacco-free until winners are announced to remain eligible. For full contest rules, click here.
Is your buddy eligible?
Your buddy must be an Ontario resident aged 19 or older as of March 1, 2012.
You are not eligible to enter if you are a staff member of the Canadian Cancer Society, Ministry of Health Promotion and Sport, Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care, Ontario Public Health or McNeil Consumer Healthcare.
* Non-eligible staff may participate as a support buddy but will not be eligible for a buddy prize.
How to enter
Step 1: Find a support buddy
- Find a buddy who will support you as you go tobacco -free. We recommend finding a non-smoking buddy to support you.
- Buddies can win too! To be eligible for a $200 cash prize, buddies must be Ontario residents and 19 years of age or older as of March 1, 2012.
- Read how buddies can help.
- Register by February 29, 2012
- Only one entry per person is permitted.
Step 3: Quit smoking/tobacco use
- Quit tobacco use by March 1, 2012 and remain tobacco-free for the month. The winner selection process can take several weeks, and you must remain tobacco-free until tested. Participants should remain tobacco-free until winners are announced to remain eligible.
- Call the Canadian Cancer Society Smokers' Helpline to increase your chances of quitting at 1 877 513-5333 and visit Smokers' Helpline Online at www.smokershelpline.ca (optional). For news and tips, you can also connect with us on Twitter and Facebook.
Selection of winners
- Names will be randomly drawn beginning April 1, 2012.
- If selected, both you and your buddy will be contacted and asked to answer a skill-testing question.
- Buddies will be asked to confirm that you have remained tobacco-free for the month of March, 2012.
- To verify tobacco-free status, the potential winner will be asked to take a urine test. Potential winners will need to remain tobacco-free until after testing, which can take up to a couple weeks after contest completion.
- Tobacco-free means no use of tobacco products of any kind. You are allowed, however, to use nicotine replacement therapies (e.g. patch, gum,inhaler or lozenge) and/or a prescription medication to help you quit.
- Winners will be announced publicly in April 2012.